Dubai is clearly a land of abundance. Just the mention of the name piques the interest of people. Huge skyscrapers, luxurious hotels, enormous malls and stylish buildings dot the skyline of the city.
Sightseeing, shopping, adventure, great food and an amazing nightlife are some of the few things that attract people to this emirate city. Dubai has something for everyone, including children, adults and the elderly, and this makes it one of the best holiday spots for families. If you have always found this city of the UAE exciting, here are some interesting facts about Dubai that would make you want to visit the place soon.
Facts about Dubai :
1. Dubai is an Arab country but only around 15% of the population consists of the Emirates. The rest 85% are expatriates, of which Indians are the highest. Pakistanis, Filipinos and citizens of other western countries make the rest of the population of the city.
2. Dubai has a really low crime rate. The laws are extremely strict and even a small transgression can lead to fine and jail time. With almost 0% crime rate, the city is surely one of the safest in the world.
3. The reason why many people flock to Dubai looking for jobs is because you do not have to pay any personal tax. As one is able to retain their entire salary without any cuts, the chances of saving are higher.
4. Dubai is one of the modern cities in the world. However, the citizens are deeply rooted in their religion and culture. Right from their everyday attire to their behaviour in public, they follow the beliefs and traditions of Islam religiously.
5. Dubai is home to several firsts in the world. It would not be surprising to know that the place has the largest mall in the world. With 1200+ retail stores, a huge food court, a multiplex theatre, an aquarium and underwater zoo, the Dubai Mall is a world in itself.
6. The tallest building in the world, the Burj Khalifa is the pride of Dubai. With a total height of 828 meters, the building has 164 floors and two observation decks. The building also has the world’s highest mosque, restaurant and nightclub.
7. Dubai is home to several luxurious hotels and the most opulent amongst them is the Burj Al Arab. Shaped liked a sail, it is the only seven star hotel in the world. The interiors of the hotel are covered with 1790m2 of 24 carat gold. Nothing can be grander than this!
8. Dubai has always awed the world with its extraordinary developmental ideas. Palm Jumeirah is one of them. It is the largest man made island in the world. Moreover, over 10.5 million dump trucks full of sand was used to create this palm shaped island.
9. Dubai is known for doing everything over-the-top. But you would be surprised to know that the police cars of the city are some of the most luxurious and flashiest cars on earth. You would be able to see the police officials driving cars like Aston Martin, Ferrari and Lamborghini.
10. The metro is one of the easiest ways of commuting in Dubai. But did you know that by covering 47 miles, the Dubai metro is the world’s fully metro network? It has earned its place in the Guinness World Records.
11. Dubai being a desert land and a thriving metropolitan city, not many would imagine it to have a flower garden. In fact, the Dubai Miracle Garden is the largest natural flower garden in the world. Open between the months of October and April, the garden houses 45 million beautiful blooms.
12. Dubai has a warm climate and the temperature goes to 50oC during the summer months. Even during the winter months, the climate is warm during the day. Nights can be chillier, especially in the desert.
13. Due to the climate, you would find air-conditioners everywhere in Dubai. Apart from homes, offices, malls and transportation, even the bus-stops in Dubai are air-conditioned.
14. Dubai does not have a particular dress code as compared to other Muslim countries. However, you should make sure that you dress decently. Your clothes should cover your arms, legs and cleavage, especially if you are visiting a religious place. Swimwear should be restricted to beaches and pool area. On the other hand, you can wear anything at the nightclubs in the city.
15. Public display of affection or PDA is illegal in Dubai. Kissing or hugging anyone (including your spouse) in public would not be taken kindly here. If you are a tourist, it could end in deportation.
16. Alcohol is only available at restaurants located inside hotels. Only a person with a valid liquor license can buy alcohol in Dubai.
17. Dubai is a place where you would get a unique vending machine, one that dispenses gold. Isn’t it a unique way of doing some gold shopping.
18. If you are not sure about buying gold from the vending machine, visit the Gold Souk which has almost 300 gold stores under one roof. Dubai is also the biggest gold trader in the world.
19. The Mall of Emirates in Dubai has an indoor ski resort amongst all the retail stores, restaurants and entertainment zones. Along with the ski area, the place also has a snow park which is considered to be the biggest indoor snow park in the world.
20. The development of Dubai has been rapid and something that has not been seen anywhere around the world. From only one skyscraper in 1991 to more than 400 today, the city has come a long way!
These interesting facts about Dubai would surely motivate you to visit Dubai in the near future. The best time to visit the place is October to April, when the climate is at its best. It is also the time when the city organises maximum activities and fun. Apart from the regular tourist Dubai places, you would also be able to enjoy the Dubai Shopping Festival, New Year’s Eve celebrations during this time of the year. If you are really excited about travelling to Dubai, book your tickets and get your Dubai visa online today!
[Also Read : Dubai Etiquettes]